Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Bike Night Wednesday - "Thankful Ride"



Saturday we had between 35 & 40 people join us on our first cruise to Niwot. We began & ended in Prospect. Our route took us down Plateau Road through the Water Song Neighborhood and southwest on the LoBo trail.

We grabbed a bite and a brew at the Niwot Tavern and then cruised "downtown" Niwot. It was a lot of fun.

We're thinking about doing this again on another Saturday in September. Stars, maybe?

Wednesday is fast approaching, the theme this week will be "The Thankful Ride". This is in direct response to the tragic events that occurred in NE Longmont over the weekend.

On Saturday or Sunday a 38 yr old father killed himself after killing his 3 yr old daughter. Initial reports stated he had been divorced and in financial trouble. Evidently he found killing himself and his 3 yr old was the only way out.

Reading this story made me think about all the things I was thankful for, and, while we all struggle from time to time, suicide is never the answer. That night I posted to facebook my feelings on this subject. Following that post I walked into my daughter's room and hugged her and told her I was so thankful for her and that I loved her.

Holding her I came up with this week's theme. I know it's not super goofy, or kitchy. No, Instead of wild costumes and craziness, I'm going to bring with me a roll of masking tape and a few sharpies. I invite you to attend the ride and write what you're most thankful for on the tape then display it somewhere on yourself your bike etc. After the ride maybe it will find its way to your rear car window or bumper. Who knows.

I just think with all the tragedy around us and with this global financial mess we're all in maybe we should take one night, one Bike Night, and just proclaim for ourselves what matters most.

I'm Thankful for my daughter, my wife, and even our crazy-ass dog.

Following our Thankful Ride here's something to look forward to!

The first ever - Longmont Bike Night - GAME NIGHT!

August 17th will be a really fun end to a great summer. The 18th, the kids must report to school. Parents will sigh with relief, I on the other hand will be filled with tears as Anna begins her Kindergarten year..... Yeah Class of 2024! Yikes ah hootay.

Anyway, because the 17th is a school night. - we will begin with the kid games early, at 5:30pm. I'm hoping to use the parking lot at Lincoln School on the corner of Lincoln Street and Longs Peak Avenue. If you'd like to drive there is ample parking on 6th Avenue and Lincoln Street. Please don't park in the parking lot.

We will have lots of fun games to play on our bikes. And, we may have prizes.

Also that night the Art In Public Places program will dedicate a new artful bike rack at Sunset Pool. We will ride over to Roosevelt at 7pm to pick up any stragglers and then to Sunset Pool for the dedication.

Following the dedication we will go on a cruise around old town.

5:30p to 6:30p - Bike Night Game Night for the kids
6:30p - 7p - break for a snack and dinner on your own
7p ride from Lincoln to Roosevelt to get folks starting at 7pm (it's the third Wednesday of the month - late start night).
7:05ish - Ride to Sunset Pool for the dedication.
7:30ish - Continue the cruise.
8:00 wrap up near 5th & Kimbark.

So I hope you can join us for both rides - tomorrow and next week.

No comments: